First Week in the Books!


I had a really fun first week of work! Monday was Orientation, it was a long day in a conference room, but I got to meet a lot of people. We learned very general things about First Tennessee and First Horizon, about the history of the company as well as their recent merger with Capital Bank. I met people from a bunch of different departments, and all over the country. Most of the interns are from the area, but there is one from as far as Arizona. The other people from my department are Cody, Kristen, and Kelsey. They’re all really cool people, and they go out of their way to come and visit me and involve me in meetings that I am not necessarily invited to. I work on the 3rd floor of the building, which Kelsey affectionately calls “The Dungeon” and they all work on the 12th floor, in a sea of empty cubicles.

Road Trip to Nashville

Tuesday, I got the opportunity to go to Nashville with my boss, Bill, and our freelance videographer, Dave. I got to observe their work flow as they filmed interviews and B-Roll for videos about their merger with Capital Bank, specifically about how the Retail Ambassadors that came to train the Capital Bank employees that stayed on board with First Tennessee. We left Memphis at 5 a.m. and got back into Memphis at 9 p.m., so it was a very long day for me.

A Day in the Office

Wednesday, I worked in the office. It was a weird day, because I had no idea where Bill’s office was located, and it was a little confusing because Bill’s office is technically located in the annex of Western Union and the corporate office. Eventually, after asking around and then waiting around for help getting to where I needed to be, Dave came and found me. He took me to the office, to set down my things, and then we made our way to where Bill was, to unload our equipment from our Nashville trip out of the rental car. We dropped the rental car off, and then came back to the office and Dave started training me on how to use Avid, which is a video editing software I’m not familiar with. I meant to get lunch with the other Communications Interns, but ended up missing lunch entirely because we worked straight up to 1 pm, and then I went to a meeting about First Tennessee Foundations Video Contest and 901nterns (a volunteer event happening on June 22) meanwhile, Dave and Bill both left the office. So I left work a bit early after working on some online corporate training.

Go Red for Women’s Heart Disease Luncheon

Thursday was a very hectic day for me. I got to work and Bill hadn’t arrived yet, but he told me to get in contact with Alana about getting some photos at a Go Red for Women’s Heart Disease Luncheon being held later that day in Germantown. So I reached out to Alana, and after a while I finally got a response and it turned out I had to attend the entire event, which was nice because I got to take photos and get lunch for free. But the downside was, Thursday is food truck day downtown so instead of checking that out with the other interns, we all had to miss it for the Luncheon. I took photos mostly of the employees that attended, and then some photos of our Executive in HR, John Daniel, who is a survivor of heart disease, in their Macy’s Survivors Fashion Show. I don’t have any photos to post here to show you would that would like like, but just imagine a lot of people wearing red, and those who had donated to the cause got sunglasses shaped as hearts that lit up and flashed red.

Communications Bonding


Friday was a very full day, and I didn’t get to leave until around 6 p.m. I got to work early, and started my day off by working on finishing my corporate training, learning about The Bonefish Strategy, which essentially determines how to make a positive impact by prioritizing your choices, and choosing activities which benefit not only the customer, but the company as well. Around 10 a.m., the other Communications interns came by to meet up with me to attend another 901nterns meeting happening in Collierville, at the FedEx headquarters. We arrived about 30 minutes late, which was a little embarrassing, but it wasn’t entirely our fault because of the traffic on the 30 minute drive. After the meeting, we all went out to Jerry’s Sno Cones, a place a little bit out of the way of the office, but it was definitely worth it. They had great, cheap food, and really awesome snow cones that actually mixed both snow cone and vanilla ice cream together.

When I got back to the office, it was 1 p.m., and I had to kick it in gear. We were scheduled to have a interview with an executive at 4 p.m., but that got cancelled and instead we focused on setting up my desktop computer so that I would be connected to the production network so I could access our photo and video archives. When we finished with that (and boy, was it complicated) I edited photos from our trip to Nashville Tuesday to be posted on our company website, and then got to upload them afterwards. It was nice to see my work online, and getting to see that I was actually getting something done. The last thing we did was we set up the studio because our interview was postponed until Monday. Then, we finally got to leave the office. Man, was it a long day.


Overall, I really enjoyed my first week. I learned a lot about the company, as well as about the employees. I met a lot of people, and its difficult for me to learn their names easily, because most people I meet I don’t interact with daily. That is something I wish I could experience more, interaction with other employees. But I suppose I’ve only been here a week and I can’t complain much. If you guys have any tips for me, let me know! I’m eager to hear about other people’s summer experiences as well, so if you would like to chat with me about your summer, feel free to reach out to me by leaving a comment below. Wish me luck!

0 thoughts on “First Week in the Books!”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *