Special Topics in Graphic Design: Alan Fletcher

About the Project

The objective of this project was to create an artist exhibition booklet for the works of graphic designer Alan Fletcher. Our booklet had to be at least 8 pages long, and use his biography, timeline, and two pieces about Fletcher (one written by Fiona MacCarthy, the other by Emily King). There were no restrictions on the project other than that, so we had a lot of freedom in what we wanted to do.

My Process

I started this project by collecting images. I knew I wanted to showcase not just one set of images that Fletcher had created in one specific time frame. Rather, I wanted to cover the scope of his graphic design career in the limited amount of space I constrained myself to: 30 pages. I mostly used the archive of Fletcher’s work, http://www.alanfletcherarchive.com, as well as some images I found in a basic Google Image search. I collected these images, as well as some portraits of Fletcher, before doing anything design-wise.

The next step I took was pairing type faces, and eventually I settled on Californian FB for body text, headers, and captions; and Ebrima for subtitles. After deciding on these two typefaces, I began to construct my master page (pictured below). Originally, I was going to use one column of text per page, but decided later that it was too uncomfortable to read such a wide block of text. So instead, I split my text into 3 columns spread across two pages. I also chose to use a rectangle with a dark blue fill to complement the start of a page with a reading, so that it would stand out against the white of the page.

The next thing I did was I started to place the text into my pages that were required by my professor. After placing the text, I found images that complemented those readings and added them to the pages. After this, I began to edit the rag of my page, making sure the contour of my columns was comfortable to read (pictured below).

After this was complete, I began working on my cover page and table of contents. I had found two images created by Fletcher, and for the cover page I simply used the image, unaltered. But for the table of contents, I removed part of the design from the image to create essentially the same affect Fletcher had created the image to convey (pictured below).

The last step I took was to caption all of my images and then print and bind my book. To see the digital format of the book in its entirety, please click here.

Reflection

This project was very easy to complete, because at the same time I was working on my Typography Project 5, in which we spend a lot more time creating and designing the elements of our book. I think that working on both projects at the same time really helped me learn about how to manipulate type in InDesign. I’m glad that these projects aligned to each other so well in my curriculum because places where I was struggling in one project were reinforced in the other project.

 

css.php