Typography Project 6: Font

Summary

This is a two-part project, the first part is to develop a typeface, and the second part is to apply that type face to a poster. For part one, we were tasked to develop a modular typeface that is visually striking, legible, and embodies both clear distinctions between individual forms and consistent visual relationships. The second part of the project, we were to apply our typeface on a poster promoting a lecture series on the architecture of Drake’s campus, the “Drake Architecture Symposium Series.” The poster must be organized, have clarity at a distance, and unifying details when viewed up close.

My Process

So first I was tasked with exploring a range of design possibilities for my typeface. We were limited to circles, squares, and rectangles to be our base unit for our typeface so I explored a bit of both. The first three renditions you see below are my first explorations of type, and how letters can be formed in the simplest ways. The fourth rendition you see in the image is an idea I had come up with to create an 8-bit script font. This worked out well, as it inspired me to continue improving this font. The fifth rendition you see are improvements I have made with advice from my classmates and further reflection on my typeface on my own.

Once I decided to latch onto this idea, I started to create the letter forms I would need to form the title of the poster. On the left, you can see these letter forms, which are all contained within an 8×10 box, and to the right you can see some examples of me attempting to apply this font to a title. The “Lucidity and Simplicity” title was the first title I attempted to set in my typeface, and you can see some of the changes I made when comparing this title to the alphabet table. For example, my lowercase “U” has changed a lot in order to increase legibility. You can also see here the way I made small adjustments in the lowercase “L” so that it would connect with other letters in a more fluid manner.

The next step upon choosing the lecture I would cover and applying my font to the lecture title was to design a poster which communicated effectively. My first ideas were to simply showcase the title of the lecture over the top of the location, time, and information of that lecture repeated continuously to fill the whole page in different colors to create an image. The image on the left is an image of what one might think of a typical temple, while the image on the right is how I adapted this technique after researching what Mies van der Rohes’ buildings actually look like. This technique was a very creative one, but did not drive the best results.

After I realized that the technique I was using was not the best way to communicate the ideas presented, I conferenced with my professor and we brainstormed together the idea of increasing the overall size of the letter “A” and overlaying the title of the lecture over top. Additionally, I chose to line up the type with several guidelines created by the “A.” On the left is the first rendition of this, and right is the final result.

 

css.php